This week’s graded topics relate to the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO 3: Identify ethical issues common to research involving human subjects. (PO 6)
- CO 5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (PO 7 & 8)
We begin our journey into discovering the new world of research and evidence-based practice (EBP) by exploring our past. After completing the required readings and lesson, answer the following:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Explain how research has evolved since the Florence Nightingale era.
- Discuss how research and EBP are different; include how you believe research supports EBP for nursing.
- Describe one past/historical unethical breach of research conduct; then, share how you would ensure care of a study participant using one ethical or legal research consideration (guideline/principle)
Hello Class,Why should nurses incorporate research? How could it (or does it?) impact your nursing practice? Think about these questions as you complete the assigned readings this week. Our profession was founded by Florence Nightingale, who was not just our nursing pioneer, but a researcher, too. In the last few years, we have seen many trends pushing nurses to have a professional practice based on evidence. With that as our beginning, consider our week’s discussion:
1. How has research evolved since Florence Nightingale?
2. How are research and EBP different and how does research support EBP?
3. Unfortunately, despite the positive impact research and EBP has, there have been major cases of research misconduct. Please choose one historical case and how you would engage in ethical treatment of a research participant.
Professor’s comment: This week, we will meet the following course outcomes:
- Identify ethical issues common to research involving human subjects.
- Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice.
You may begin posting in this thread no sooner than the first Sunday of week one. Posts prior to this time will not receive credit. I look forward to your thoughts! Dr. Smailes
references: Houser, J. (2018). Nursing research: Reading, using, and creating evidence (4th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
This textbook is available as an e-book and can be accessed from the module view.