This week, we will examine a case study about smokers in Poland. As noted in the Center for Global Development and Jassem, Przewozniak, & Zatonski (2014), prior to 1989, Poland had the highest rate of smoking in the world, with three-fourths of all men aged 20–60 smoking every day at a rate of 3,500 cigarettes per person per year. It should be noted that 30% of all women smoked every day, as well. This behavior resulted in a life expectancy of about 60 years due to the highest rates of lung cancer in the world and all-time high levels of smoking-related cancers and cardiovascular and respiratory disease.
To prepare for this Assignment you will be required to read Case 14 by the Center for Global Development and complete readings in Stanhope and Lancaster, then respond to the following questions:
· What happened to change the culture of smoking in Poland?
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
· Understanding that we all have bias when discussing health issues and precipitating factors, what social and political factors allowed cigarette smoking to become a part of the Polish culture?
· Reflecting on your own practice, how do you overcome cultural bias?
· Do you find it more difficult to deal with some groups than others?
· How do people use the cultural information that they learn about others?
· Do you think this leads to stereotyping?
· Does cultural knowledge influence or change your practice and interaction with others?
Support your response with references from the professional nursing literature.
This should be a 5-paragraph (at least 550 words) response.
Be sure to use evidence from the readings and include in-text citations.
Utilize essay-level writing practice and skills, including the use of transitional material and organizational frames.
Avoid quotes; paraphrase to incorporate evidence into your own writing.
A reference list is required. Use the most current evidence (usually ≤ 5 years old).
Stanhope, M., & Lancaster, J. (2016). Public health nursing: Population-centered health care in the community (9th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
· Chapter 7, “Cultural Diversity in the Community” (pp. 139–166)
· Chapter 11, “Genomics in Public Health Nursing” (pp. 242–255)
· Chapter 16, “Changing Health Behavior Using Health Education with Individuals, Families, and Groups” (pp. 355–376)
· Chapter 17, “Building a Culture of Health through Community Health Promotion” (pp. 377–395)