Self-Reflection: Hays ADDRESSING Model
All of us have multifaceted cultural identities, so you are likely to have experienced situations where you were in the cultural majority as well as others where you were in the cultural minority. This assignment will help you consider the influence of your cultural memberships on your ability to work professionally with people of similar cultural backgrounds, as well as with people from different cultural backgrounds. All clinicians have biases. Failure to recognize these biases creates harm. It takes more strength to acknowledge your biases than to argue that you have none.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Dr. Pamela Hays developed the ADDRESSING model to help psychologists recognize 10 major factors of cultural difference that are common in the United States: Age (and generational influences), Developmental and acquired Disabilities, Religion and spiritual identity, Ethnicity and racial identity, Socioeconomic status, Sexual orientation, Indigenous heritage, National origin, and Gender. Note that this list is not comprehensive; there are thousands of different cultural identities in our country. The ADDRESSING model just sums up the 10 most common points of cultural difference.
- Use the Hays ADDRESSING Model Template linked in Resources to conduct a cultural self-assessment that describes your identity in all elements of the Hays ADDRESSING model.
- You must complete and submit the Hays ADDRESSING Model Template provided for this assignment. Do not submit a paper. Papers will not be graded.
- For more information about the Hays ADDRESSING model, review Hays’s article, “Looking Into the Clinician’s Mirror: Cultural Self-Assessment,” linked in Resources.
- After completing the table on the template, review your entries and then respond to the three questions posed below the table in the template.
- There are no right or wrong responses for this assignment. You will be graded on your insight and ability to recognize the implications of your privilege and biases when you work with others.
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Format: Use the Hays ADDRESSING Model Template in Resources. Use current APA style and formatting guidelines as applicable to this assignment.
- Font: Arial, 12 points.
Submit the completed template no later than 11:59 p.m. (CST) on Sunday.
- Self-Reflection: Hays ADDRESSING Model Scoring Guide.
- Hays ADDRESSING Model Template [DOC].
- Looking Into the Clinician’s Mirror: Cultural Self-Assessment.