The value of a good assessment comes from the ability to conceptualize a situation and provide some language and a vehicle to promote change. Too many times in treatment, an assessment is completed as a task of the first few sessions and then left in the chart never to be reviewed again. This is a mistake, and good practice includes a constant review and update to the assessment as well as a plan of action.
Using the following case study and attached LASA 1 (Assessment) you will be able topractice making a difference in a child’s life by creating a training and intervention program for the adults in that child’s life.
- Write a summary assessment of the case study to be handed out in the school meeting with the family and professionals. This summary should include the following:
- Background information about the child, explaining his or her behavior and the current situation
- Possible determinates of the stated behaviors focusing on the family
- Possible determinates of the stated behaviors focusing on the school
- Create a presentation, with detailed speaker notes, to train the parents and school personnel to better understand the socialization of this particular child and to create a training and intervention program for both parents and school personnel. The presentation should provide research support from at least two peer-reviewed articles and include the following:
- Separate title and reference slides.
- Provide a review of the role this child plays in his or her family, how that correlates with the expressed behavior, and specific interventions recommended to change problematic behaviors.
- Provide a review of the role this child plays in his or her school and peer group, how that correlates with the expressed behavior, and interventions recommended to change problematic behaviors.
- Create a guide for parents to find the resources needed in the community or methods to gain the services needed for their child. Be sure to also identify four or five resources in your own community, and provide a description of the services they provide that would be useful.
- Provide information on resiliency and the research literature that best applies to this particular case study. Present the strength areas of the child, family, and school integrated with this resiliency literature to provide positive intervention strategies.
CASE STUDY 2
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
BRANDON IS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN EIGHT YEAR OLD CHILD IN THIRD GRADE, WHO IS IN DANGER OF HAVING TO REPEAT THE GRADE. HE CONTINUES TO STRUGGLE WITH BEING ABLE TO CONCENTRATE IN CLASS, AND SAYS HE IS ‘BORED’ WHEN STUDENTS HAVE TO JUST SIT AND READ, SOMETIMES HE TALKS AND WALKS AROUND THE CALSS AND OTHER TIMES HE DRAWS PICTURES AND PAYS NO ATTENTION AT ALL. HE FREQUENTLY GETS SENT TO THE PRINCIPAL’S OFFICE FOR THIS BEHAVIOR, BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO MIND BECAUSE THE PRINCIPAL LETS HIM LAY AND GIVES HIM SNACKS (AS HE ALWAYS COMPLAINS ABOUT BEING HUNGRY). OFTEN THE PRINCIPLE COMPLIMENTS HIM ON HIS ARTWORK.
WHEN HIS PARENTS WERE TOLD ABOUT HIS BEHAVIOR, THEY WERE EXASPERATED. THE PARENTS SAID HE BEHAVES EVEN MORE POORLY AT HOME, STEALING AND BREAKING HIS SIBLINGS’ THINGS AND SNEAKING FOOD INTO HIS ROOM. HE EVEN HAS NIGHTLY BED WETTING ACCIDENTS ON A FAIRLY REGULAR BASIS (THE DOCTOR HAS RULED OUT PHYSICAL PROBLEMS AS A REASON FOR THESE).
HIS MOTHER WORKS AS A PART-TIME JOB AT A LOCAL GAS STATION WHEN THE KIDS ARE IN SCHOOL. HIS FATHER USED TO COME HOME AROUND DINNERTIME AND WAS OFTEN TIRED; BUT HE RECENTLY WAS LAID OFF AND IS DEPRESSED AND SPENDS A LOT OF TIME IN BED.
Write a 2-page summary assessment in Word format and develop a 15–20-slide presentation (with detailed speaker notes) in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources, including use of in-text citations and full references.
Academic sources could include your textbook, required readings for this module, or academic journal articles found in the Argosy University online library.
Grading Criteria and Rubric
Presented a 2-page review of the previous assessment of the child (mostly a summary from LASA 1), which included background information about the child, explaining his or her behavior, and the current situation and possible determinates of the stated behaviors focusing on the family, as well as on the school.
Reviewed the role this child plays in his or her family, and how that correlates with the expressed behavior (in both the slide/s and speaker notes).
28Recommended specific interventions in the family environment to change problematic behaviors (in both the slide/s and speaker notes).40Reviewed the role this child plays in his or her school and peer group, and how that correlates with the expressed behavior (in both the slide/s and speaker notes).28Recommended specific interventions in the school environment to change problematic behaviors (in both the slide/s and speaker notes).32Developed a resource-guide strategy for parents to find the resources needed in the community or methods to gain the services needed for their child (in both the slide/s and speaker notes); and provide actual local resources (4–5).44Integrated information from resiliency research with the case study to present strength areas of the child, family, and school and recommend positive intervention strategies (in both the slide/s and speaker notes).36
Usage and Mechanics (16)
APA Elements (24)