Reading guidelines for paper discussion
CRISPR Cas9 targeting haematoietic stem cells
• What is the overall question that the scientists are trying to address in this paper?
• What is CRISPR Cas9? Where does it come from and what is it used for?
• What are some examples of B-haemoglobinopathies and the diseases that they cause?
• What causes them?
• What is the HBB gene?
• What ways have scientists tried to edit this gene in the past versus what these researchers are proposing?
In general, what is the approach used by the researchers, such as
• Which cell types are being used and why?
• Where did they get the cells and how?
• What did they do to the cells?
• How can they tell if it worked?
For each figure (1-4 only) determine the following:
• What is the purpose of this experiment/figure?
• What method was used? (in general- example: used gel electrophoresis to detect the sizes of DNA)
• What does it show? (What is the overall result?)
• What is the overall conclusion?
• What are the implications of this research (i.e. how can it be used in the future?)
• What should be done next?