HLTHIR404D- Work Effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People
CHCECE001- Develop Cultural Competence
Please note that both units in the Culture Cluster are now co-assessed. This is the only written Off-the-Job Assessment to be completed for both units. Please ensure that you have read the learning materials for both units prior to commencing this assessment.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
□ I have read the learning resource CHCECE001
□ I have read the learning resource HLTHIR404D
□ I have attended a live/recorded Connect Session for this cluster of units (optional)
□ I have accessed the forums for assistance with this unit (optional)
You are NOW ready to start this assessment. Good luck!
This assessment is ungraded. Learners will receive a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory in accordance with TAFE NSW Assessment Guidelines.
All assignments must be completed satisfactorily.
What you have to do
Before beginning your assignment, it is important that you have all required formats and documents that were part of the download for this assignment.
Also check in the ‘Assessment tips’ section under this assessment tab in the OLS for this unit for any helpful fact sheets and web-links.
Task 1- Definition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history
Task 2- Explanation of Australia’s Historical Impact on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people today
Task 3- Reflection on your own identity.
Please read through all tasks very carefully
Task 1: Research and define
Research Australia’s history regarding Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people using the resources and readings on the OLS and provide a short definition/ explanation for the following:
|Aboriginal Protection Act|
|Old definition of Aboriginality|
|Current understanding of Aboriginality|
END OF TASK 1 – PLEASE CONTINUE TO TASK 2.
Task 2: Historical impact on families today
1) In one to two typed A4 pages of Arial font size 10, discuss the impact European settlement, and policies and practices since then, have had on Aboriginal and Torres Strait people and families in regards to:
a) Family Structure (ensure you discuss the short and long term effects of Stolen generation)
b) Health and well being
d) Loss of culture/ language/ land/ kinship
e) Education and employment
2) Access the National Quality Standard and list which standards and elements relate to cultural identity and cross cultural understandings. Consult your preferred Learning framework and identify the principle, practice or learning outcomes which reflect these standards.
EYLF (or other approved Learning Framework)
END OF TASK 2 – PLEASE CONTINUE TO TASK 3
Task 3: Reflection and connecting with own community
In one A4 page you will need to reflect on significant events in your own life to reflect and answer the following.
1. Briefly describe your cultural identity or identities. What aspects of your environment or significant events in your life have helped to shape your values and beliefs?
2. Describe how your life, values and beliefs have made you view other cultures including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Identify any knowledge, attitudes or skills that you would like to develop to ensure your personal cultural competency.
3. You are working in an Early Childhood Setting in your local community. It is your responsibility to ensure your program is inclusive of local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Culture.
a) Provide the contact details (organisation or individual name and phone/email / websites) of who you could consult in the local Indigenous community. This might be your local council, Aboriginal Organisation, Local school/ TAFE, Aboriginal Elders or a relevant member of the local Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community
b) Research your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clan to answer the following
· Name of the traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community and language spoken
· Is this language still spoken within this Community?
· Local Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander history of the people/clan, their art, Dreamtime stories or music.
· Describe the things that you did not know and were not aware of about this culture and your community.
c) Describe how you would demonstrate respect and understanding of protocol when making connections with the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community.