The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by Saturday, June 3, 2017.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by Wednesday, June 7, 2017.
Sexuality is essential to the way one conceives oneself. It may depend on one’s experiences and considerations that often fluctuate throughout his or her lifespan. It gets impacted by different biopsychosocial, economic, cultural, religious, and spiritual factors.
The textbook states that with the passing time, the emotional, intellectual, and physical aspects of sexual desire and expression become fairly stable in both genders. The Western views have equalized aging with dying, so most of the people probably have a confined view of aged adults as sexually active individuals. Unfortunately, our healthcare providers are also not exempted from these stereotypical attitudes.
Using the South University Online Library, the Internet, or the course readings, conduct a research on sexuality in men and women. Based on your research, answer the following question:
- Regardless of sexual orientation, how are men and women similar and different in terms of their attitudes toward sex and love?
- Describe Sternberg’s Triangular theory of Love. Can you compare a relationship you have experienced to Sternberg’s theory?
- How does a social cultural message add to the stereotypes toward sexuality in aging population?
- Are there changes in the sexual behavior of the aged population?
- Describe the changes in sexuality from puberty through late adulthood. Describe how a person’s definition and experience of sexuality and intimacy often fluctuates throughout his or her lifespan. What are some of the influences as it relates to “changes in sexuality from puberty to late adulthood”?
You may use the following article for your research:
Sternberg, R. J. (1986). A Triangular Theory of Love. Psychological Review, 93(2), 119–135.
Buss, Larsen, Westen, & Semmelroth (1992) studied the differences between the sexes as it related to feelings of jealousy and found that that neither sex was more jealous than the other. However, women get more distressed when they feel emotional infidelity and men get more upset with sexual infidelity.
- Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- What is jealousy and what are the different types of jealousies?
- What are the psychological dimensions of jealousy? Is jealousy always irrational? Can jealousy be based on fears?
- How does jealousy hurt or help a relationship? How should you effectively deal with jealousy? What suggestions might you offer a friend to assist with managing one’s jealousy?
- Your textbook presents two theoretical ideas about love that you may use when evaluating relationships. The sociologist, John Lee, describes six styles of love. What are these styles? Are there differences between the styles of women and men? How?
Buss, D. M., Larsen, R. J., Westen, D., & Semmelroth, J. (1992). Sex differences in jealousy: Evolution, physiology, and psychology. Psychological Science, 3(4), 251–255.