Book Corey, G. (2017). Theory and practice of counseling and psychotherapy (10th ed.). Belmont, CA: Cengage Learning.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- In Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (CBT), a common homework activity for clients is keeping a log of dysfunctional thoughts and feelings. It is helpful for therapists to practice this themselves, not only for the personal benefit of challenging their own negative thoughts, but to understand what they are asking of their clients. Identify one of your own dysfunctional thoughts and keep a record of your experience with it for minimum of 3 days. Use the CBT Thought record found on course site. Print it and fill it out. Then scan the completed log to a computer. Copy-paste it into the final document that you turn in.
- Instructions for filling out the log: Start with the third column of “Negative Automatic Thought.” Then fill in the two left columns: where were you when you had this thought? What emotions/feelings did you have during this thought? Then move right: What evidence do you have that supports the thought? What evidence do you have that refutes the thought? What is a possibly healthier alternative thought you can think instead? How does this new thought make you feel?
- Once you have finished this log, answer the following questions in 1-2 pages:
- What was this experience like for you? Did you find it easy or difficult to keep a log of your thought/feelings? Did you notice any changes in your thought/feelings?
- What are some strengths of using this activity in therapy? What are some setbacks to using this activity in therapy? What are some traits of a client that would pose a challenge to making this activity useful?
- Follow along with the Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) video on youtube found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYsuvRNZfxE . Find a quiet time and place with minimal distractions to practice this activity.
- Answer the following questions in 1-2 pages:
- What was this experience like for you? Did you find it easy or difficult to relax and follow along? What was it like to try to “turn off” transient thoughts? What kind of sensations did you have in your body?
- As Corey explains in the text, parts of traditional behavior therapy are now used in contemporary cognitive-behavioral therapy. In an additional page, Describe the methods of therapy Corey uses in the Behavior and Cognitive Behavior sessions with Stan. How are they similar? How are they different? What reactions did you have as you watched both sessions?
This assignment should be 3 full pages minimum-4 full pages maximum in length total (excluding cover page, CBT Thought Record, and reference page), size 12 Times New Roman font, double-spaced, with 1-inch margins. Combine all parts into one document with one cover page and reference page.